So, come on then… Who has the post-CI blues?
If I’m honest, I think they mostly passed me by this year, but I’m wondering if that is because, unlike in previous years when I just went back to work – usually with a bit of a #cakebreak to recover – my life is still very cake-centric, thanks to Mr Baker’s Blog. Hopefully, it is providing a little bit of a crutch to all of you too.
I do think that my body has decided to punish me for burning the candle at both ends of late though – once I had finally managed to catch up on all of the sleep I missed in the run up to the show, it decided the time was right for a particularly nasty dose of man flu. I’m powering through naturally (with only the smallest amount of whining – sorry, work colleagues), but I have decided to postpone one or two of my upcoming features until later in the month and actually sleep for once.
However, that doesn’t mean that I am not looking forward to my upcoming cake-filled weekend and, for those that are still missing some cakey fun, I may have a bit of a solution.
This weekend sees Cake Decoration and Sugarcraft Magazine and FMM Sugarcraft uniting to lay on their first ever CAKE Live Demonstration Day – a full day of sugarcraft demonstrations – on Saturday 17th November 2018 at the stunning Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, near Droitwich Spa.
The magazine and FMM Sugarcraft have joined forces to bring us a must-have masterclass in cake decorating! Not only will we learn some invaluable skills to take home, but we’ll also get first-hand access to the tricks of the trade from fabulous talents like Cassie Brown, Carol Haycox and Cake Decoration and Sugarcraft Magazine editor, Leeanne Cooper.
Included in the day are:
- Four up-close and personal demonstrations with two great cake decorating specialists, during which we will be able to ask all those burning cakey questions
- A must-have exclusive goody bag full of handy products – including three you can choose ourselves
- 10 golden tickets for the chance to win Cassie Brown’s fabulous new book The Kew Book of Sugar Flowers, in association with the prestigious Kew Gardens (I have this and it is STUNNING)
- Be the first to know about FMM Sugarcraft’s BRAND NEW product, launching on the day
- Money off Cassie’s new book for those who weren’t lucky enough to find a golden ticket
- 50% off all FMM Sugarcraft products at the event
- See how to make the most of our FMM Sugarcraft products first-hand
- A FREE copy of the latest issue of Cake Decoration & Sugarcraft magazine
- A tasty hot or cold buffet lunch as well as hot drinks and snacks throughout the day
- Enjoy stunning grounds and a relaxed atmosphere at Chateau Impney in Droitwich Spa
On top of this, we will also learn all sorts of desirable techniques from Carol and Cassie, such as:
- Preparing the sponge correctly to get great results with buttercream
- Making wired and non-wired flowers
- Creating floral arrangements and tropical leaves
- Using support dowels to stack multi-tiered cakes securely on a cake board
- Adding colour and texture correctly for a modern look
- Achieving a smooth and professional cake finish
If this sounds like the sort of day out that could help your post-CI come down then you need to head over to the Cake Decoration & Sugarcraft Magazine Facebook page where you can find more information.
I hope I’ll get to see some of you there!
Oh, and while you’re here, I learned yesterday that Mr Baker’s Blog has been shortlisted for the UK Blog Awards!
I think they struggled to know where to place me – I mean, it’s not the most common format is it? Larger than life projects, recipes, cake tutorials, interviews, event coverage, class previews, product reviews and whatever else I can squeeze in..?
However, the powers that be have decided that the Best Culinary Blog category was the best fit.
To proceed to the finalist stage, it is now down to your votes, so if you enjoy reading Mr Baker’s Blog and feel like you would like to give me your vote, then you can find the voting form at this link – handy hint: I am on the second page of the culinary blogs.
While you’re there, you can also vote for your favourite blogs in all of the other categories if you want to, but you don’t have to.
Thank you so much for your ongoing support!