If you are regular consumer of internet content, then you may have seen the recent blogging trend to attempt Vogue magazine’s 73 question online video series with celebrities that’s been going on the last couple of years.
Well, I say recent – the trend really had its moment around this time last year, but as I am usually pretty late to the party, I figured… pfft… let’s finally get around to it.
The gist is basically this: 73 rapid-fire questions that can be asked and answered in under 10 minutes. So, without much further ado, let’s get started…
1. What’s your favourite time of day?
Oh gosh, starting easy then…? Ermmm… first thing in the morning. I get up super early so that I can have plenty of time to enjoy an entirely inappropriate amount of coffee and catch up on all my emails, social media and everything else before the day gets going.
2. What’s your biggest weakness?
Overanalysing every little thing that happens in my life. Oh, and procrastination – hence I am answering these questions instead of doing the work that I should be doing.
3. What’s your biggest strength?
Errr… organisation? I’d never be able to stay on top of my crazy dual life without it!
4. What’s the biggest learning experience you’ve had?
Realising that you can’t be everything to everyone. For the longest of times, I used to wear myself out trying to do things for other people – almost to the point of becoming a doormat at times. Realising that I could say no and the world wouldn’t end was a big awakening for me.
5. What’s your idea of a perfect date?
Anywhere that combines my love of good food and travel. Enjoying some freshly made pasta against the backdrop of the Colosseum in Rome has to be right up there.
6. What’s one vice you wish you could give up?
I don’t really have too many vices any more. Over the last few years, I have given up smoking, drinking alcohol and an over-dependence on Pepsi Max. I think I should be allowed to keep any others that I still have… 😉
7. What’s a cause that is important to you?
So so many. Charities that support children living in poverty, organisations supporting those struggling with chronic illnesses, animal welfare causes… I always wish I could do more to help everyone!
8. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
Any time that the parents of a child I have taught has taken the time to get in touch and let me know about a positive impact I have been able to have in the life of their child… There is no other compliment that could even come close.
9. When are you the most inspired?
I am inspired by people’s talents, their creativity, the positive impact they have on those around them… I find so many things inspiring. Isn’t that what life is all about?
10. Sweet or savoury?
Oddly enough for a cake maker, savoury all the way!
11. What song can you listen to on repeat?
Can’t Fight the Moonlight by LeAnn Rimes from the movie Coyote Ugly. It reminds me of a really fun period in my life.
12. What makes you smile the most?
When people (whether cake makers or my pupils) surprise themselves by achieving something they originally thought was impossible.
13. What’s one thing people don’t know about you?
Ooooh… I don’t know. I like to think that I am pretty much an open book to be honest. Sorry, I know that is a fairly lame answer!
14. Smart shoes or trainers?
Trainers all the way. Either a pair of Adidas Superstars or a classic Dunlop Green Flash.
15. Vintage or new?
I’d love to get into thrifting vintage clothing, but I wouldn’t even know where to start in the UK.
16. What are the three things you can’t live without?
Coffee, books and my cat, Treacle.
17. Window or aisle seat?
Aisle. As much as I love a view, I need to be able to get up and walk around.
18. What’s your current TV character obsession?
I’ve just discovered Madam Secretary and am fairly convinced that Henry McCord is the perfect man. So either him or Elizabeth’s assistant Blake. I would love to have someone organise my life, please.
19. Leather or denim?
In a jacket…? Vegan leather – or pleather if you will…
20. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life?
I went on a holiday to Italy on my own and spent a wonderful week exploring Pisa and Florence. I was an amazing experience, but I definitely prefer having people with me to share my travel adventures.
21. How would you define yourself in three words?
Independent. Determined. Caring.
22. What’s your current favourite piece of clothing that you own?
My Superdry hoodies. I have three and I practically live in them.
23. What’s a must-have clothing item everyone should own?
A good pair of slippers.
24. What’s inspiring you in life right now?
YouTube. It’s still the newest addition to the Mr Baker’s Cakes platform and I feel like I am learning something new with every single video.
25. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?
“You can’t pour from an empty cup.” Look after yourself first otherwise you will be no good to anyone. Self-care is important folks!
26. What’s your pet peeve?
Lateness! I firmly live by the mantra that if you’re on time, then you’re already late.
27. Diamonds or pearls?
My own jewellery preferences tend towards the plain and simple, but I do have diamonds in my engagement ring, so I guess I’d have to say diamonds.
28. What’s something you notice about someone when you first meet them?
I have terrible hearing, so rely an awful lot on lip reading – particularly when it is noisy. So, if somebody is constantly looking away from me or covering their mouth, that immediately jumps out at me.
29. What’s your biggest regret?
Probably not being better at saving when I was young.
30. What’s heavily played on your music playlist right now?
My current playlist is a complete mash up of songs from back in the 60s and 70s, right through to some early 2000s stuff. It’s a complete mish mash of genres too, so one minute you can be listening to Fleetwood Mac, then the Spice Girls, then a show tune and then something by ACDC.
31. What’s your favourite board game?
I love Trivial Pursuit, but no one will ever play it with me. The most regularly played game at our board game nights is probably Articulate.
32. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Spending an afternoon in bed with a new book.
33. What book did you most recently finish?
Well this is rather embarrassing, but I just reread the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. As a primary school teacher, I try to also keep up with a lot of youth fiction too and had had the Alex Rider series sat on the bookshelf for a couple of years.
34. What are you currently reading?
Another reread, The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I heard the movie referenced somewhere and it made me want to read the book again.
35. How do you start your day?
With an hour of cake/blog admin time, responding to emails, catching up on social media, making notes for that week’s issue of Something Sweet magazine and scheduling that day’s social media posts – all accompanied by a ridiculous amount of coffee, of course.
36. What’s your favourite holiday?
It has to be Christmas – lots of cooking, lots of baking and spending time with my family and closest friends. What’s not to love?
37. If you could raid one person’s closet, who would it be?
I really admire people who take a bit of a risk with their fashion, so someone like Billy Porter, Rami Malek or even Harry Styles lately.
38. If you could switch lives with one person for a day who would it be?
Anyone that has mastered the art of actually being able to switch off and just be lazy. My mind is always whirling at 100 miles an hour, so I’d love to be able to just turn it all off and just relax, just once.
39. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to try but you’ve been too scared to do?
A sky dive. I’ve been offered a couple of opportunities to actually do one over the years, but have since promised my other half that I won’t.
40. What’s the one thing you wish you knew at age 19?
That you don’t get many second chances, so grab the opportunities you are given with both hands!
41. Besides your phone or wallet, what are a couple of must-have items to always have with you?
Tissues and a lip balm.
42. If you were not a blogger, what would you be doing?
I guess I would still be teaching full time.
43. What’s something you can’t do?
Sing well. I love singing and any car journey with me is basically just an exclusive concert, but I am really not very good at it at all.
44. Where was the best vacation you’ve ever taken?
The first time we visited Rome. It is the perfect combination of art, architecture, history and good food – all of my favourite things to see and do on holiday.
45. What’s one city you’ve always dreamed of travelling to?
It was always New York, but we finally got there last April! So now, I guess somewhere like Washington DC or San Francisco?
46. What’s something you always travel with?
A travel kettle and a jar of instant coffee. Got to have that morning brew!
47. Favourite food?
Pasta, with some combination of fresh green vegetables in a cheesy sauce.
48. Favourite dessert?
As mentioned above, I don’t really have a sweet tooth, so given the choice, probably a cheese board.
49. Favourite snack?
Hummus and anything.
50. What’s a movie that made you cry?
Oh, my goodness, I cry at everything. The worst culprit ever was probably Deep Impact… No no, hear me out! The bit where the mum gives her baby to her older daughter and then watches them ride away, knowing that she’ll never see them again…? That just destroys me every single time.
51. What’s your favourite movie of the last five years?
As a self-confessed Marvel fanboy from a young age after falling in love with the X Men animated TV show, I have been absolutely spoiled by the Marvel Cinematic Universe in recent years, not to mention some of the Fox X Men films. But superheroes aside, I also really enjoyed The Martian (which I think just qualifies) and Hotel Mumbai.
52. What’s the one talent you wish you had?
Singing. Definitely singing.
53. What’s your favourite exercise?
Hiking. You get to exercise AND spend time exploring somewhere new – double the fun.
54. What’s your favourite band?
Of all time? Probably Queen or Fleetwood Mac. But there will always be a special place in my heart for Steps and the Spice Girls.
55. What’s your favourite fast food order?
I don’t really eat fast food, but if pushed, I would probably go for something like a falafel wrap or anything with halloumi.
56. What’s something you don’t want to be doing in 10 years?
Counting the pennies. Going part time at my day job was definitely the way forward if I wanted to make something of my online creating, but I’m definitely feeling the pinch as a result.
57. What’s the cutest thing on planet earth?
Baby animals of all varieties. Is there anything more precious?
58. What’s the best thing that happened this year?
Oh gosh, we’re only in February! But the best thing that happened in the last twelve months? Meeting my new niece Ellie and finding out that my sister is pregnant with her first child.
59. What’s your favourite cocktail?
I don’t drink alcoholic drinks anymore, but it used to be a Long Island Iced Tea.
60. Which movie makes you laugh the hardest?
I’m not normally a fan of comedies, but I have to admit that Bridesmaids definitely had more than a few laugh out loud moments.
61. What do you usually eat for dinner?
Pasta, with some form of Quorn meat replacement and tons of vegetables.
62. What do you usually eat for lunch?
I tend to graze on fresh fruit and some sort of rice-based snack, like Snack-a-Jacks but if I have time for something more substantial, then I like to load up a salad with lots of pickles, squash and maybe some halloumi.
63. What do you usually eat for breakfast?
Bitesize Shredded Wheat, with fresh fruit and unsweetened almond milk.
64. What’s your favourite thing in the world?
Either curling up with a good book and my cat, or spending time with my family and closest friends.
65. What’s your favourite color?
Any shade of pink or somewhere between turquoise and teal.
66. What colour clothing do you wear most?
67. What are three words to describe living on the south coast?
Beautiful, windy and expensive.
68. Do you like surprises?
I love being surprised. I hate knowing that a surprise is coming, but not being allowed to know what it is.
69. What’s one thing you had to learn the hard way?
That as you get older, you can’t just take your body and health for granted.
70. What’s something you’re tired of?
The current state of world politics.
71. Who do you turn to when you’re sad?
My cat, Treacle. She’s been with me for 13 years now and we’ve weathered all of life’s highs and lows together.
72. What’s a trend you would like to see disappear forever?
Those weird top buns that all the girls seem to be sporting at the moment – they honestly just look peculiar. Oh, and those huge, shaggy beards on men. I’m all for a beard, but a bit of grooming never hurt anyone.
73. What did you want to do with your life at age 12?
I wanted to be a journalist, so I guess I’m kind of doing it now, thanks to Something Sweet magazine…?
And there you have it, Mr Baker’s Cakes tackling Vogue’s 73 Questions. If you made it to the end, massive props to you!
Who would you most like to see take on Vogue’s 73 Questions challenge next? If you have a blog, why not give it a go too? Be sure to tag me so I can see your answers!